note to self
-Yes, that was deliberate irony.
And yes, I know this post follows something last posed in June, which feels like a year ago, so MY BAD.
I have decided to make a list of things/lessons I have learnt, and post them on this blog.
If you read this and disagree, that's cool too. This is, as the title states, a note to self.
1. Trust your gut. Always
When something feels wrong, it probably is. I'm spontaneous and an eternal pleaser. This means that I will not always consider my feelings about the matter, and rather just do it. Bad idea. I have wound up in a few situations where I eventually say "I told you so" to myself. This lesson has forced me to take a minute, and think about how I feel about it.
2. Don't worry so much
I am OCD; I mean my room is still a mess but I do obsess about all the small things that carry no real importance in the bigger scheme of life itself. Everybody over think's stuff, but ask yourself if its really worth worrying about. Like, REALLY? Mostly this includes things like people's reactions during conversations and their gestures. I also over think my actions, like what to to with my arms and if I'm standing upright, (or am I standing too upright?), to keep eye contact but not to stare, to try not to get distracted, etc. So in essence you could say I am obsessing on trying to act normal, which is really sad, because normal is the most boring thing on Earth. So- don't worry about your arms. Just don't worry.
3. Everyone is uncool
Yes. Even the coolest person you know was a total dork at some point. My mother told me what to wear until I was something like 15 years old. And while my mother has great fashion sense, he main aim when dressing her offspring was to keep them warm and comfortable. I ended up in Velcro takkies and bell-bottom jeans with sleeveless polar fleece cover-up's for quite a few years. This lesson has reminded me that change is good. Always.
4. Change is good
I have just finished three years of studying and for the first time in my life I don't really have a plan for next year. There is just an ocean of possibilities stretched out in front of me. So I need to jump in. and don't get me wrong, change is scary. Really scary. But it's a good kind of scary. The same kind of momentary unpleasantness like on winter mornings when you need to get out of your warm bed, into the cold, to face the day or when you go to your first "proper" gym session after a few lazy winter months. Just jump in. The water might be ice cold, but at least your swimming.
5. Know what's good for you
As far as relationships are concerned, I have forced myself to recognise whether people are a pro or a con in my life. We all have friends who need us a bit more than we imagine to need them, but some people just leave you feeling bad. Totally not worth it. It's easy, just stick to people who make you happy. That way, you will be happier. This doesn't mean total world peace, but it might result in more inner peace, and I think we could all do with more of that.
So there it is.
That's all for now.
xx
And yes, I know this post follows something last posed in June, which feels like a year ago, so MY BAD.
I have decided to make a list of things/lessons I have learnt, and post them on this blog.
If you read this and disagree, that's cool too. This is, as the title states, a note to self.
1. Trust your gut. Always
When something feels wrong, it probably is. I'm spontaneous and an eternal pleaser. This means that I will not always consider my feelings about the matter, and rather just do it. Bad idea. I have wound up in a few situations where I eventually say "I told you so" to myself. This lesson has forced me to take a minute, and think about how I feel about it.
2. Don't worry so much
I am OCD; I mean my room is still a mess but I do obsess about all the small things that carry no real importance in the bigger scheme of life itself. Everybody over think's stuff, but ask yourself if its really worth worrying about. Like, REALLY? Mostly this includes things like people's reactions during conversations and their gestures. I also over think my actions, like what to to with my arms and if I'm standing upright, (or am I standing too upright?), to keep eye contact but not to stare, to try not to get distracted, etc. So in essence you could say I am obsessing on trying to act normal, which is really sad, because normal is the most boring thing on Earth. So- don't worry about your arms. Just don't worry.
3. Everyone is uncool
Yes. Even the coolest person you know was a total dork at some point. My mother told me what to wear until I was something like 15 years old. And while my mother has great fashion sense, he main aim when dressing her offspring was to keep them warm and comfortable. I ended up in Velcro takkies and bell-bottom jeans with sleeveless polar fleece cover-up's for quite a few years. This lesson has reminded me that change is good. Always.
4. Change is good
I have just finished three years of studying and for the first time in my life I don't really have a plan for next year. There is just an ocean of possibilities stretched out in front of me. So I need to jump in. and don't get me wrong, change is scary. Really scary. But it's a good kind of scary. The same kind of momentary unpleasantness like on winter mornings when you need to get out of your warm bed, into the cold, to face the day or when you go to your first "proper" gym session after a few lazy winter months. Just jump in. The water might be ice cold, but at least your swimming.
5. Know what's good for you
As far as relationships are concerned, I have forced myself to recognise whether people are a pro or a con in my life. We all have friends who need us a bit more than we imagine to need them, but some people just leave you feeling bad. Totally not worth it. It's easy, just stick to people who make you happy. That way, you will be happier. This doesn't mean total world peace, but it might result in more inner peace, and I think we could all do with more of that.
So there it is.
That's all for now.
xx
Comments
Post a Comment