Soul Mate/Internet Date
Firstly, I apologise for not having posted for so long. I could give you a bunch of excuses, but that won't change a thing. I'm on holiday now for two weeks so I am going to push for a post a day.
This weekend I had an uncomfortable moment with a dear aunt of mine.
As I am currently approaching my second year of studies and am a 20 year old female, to some members of my family, it is pretty sad that I am single. They can't seem to understand why being single doesn't bother me. I can see the pity in her eyes. So, amongst all this invisible confusion, my aunt suggested I try Internet dating.
I'm a liberal kind of person. I like to try new foods, watch art films with subtitles and go against most of what is mainstream. But this seemed one step too far. When she read what was written on my face after she suggested Internet dating, she quickly said, one of her friends (who must be 40 something) had found her SOUL MATE through Internet dating. I am sure there are people who enjoy Internet dating; the concept of passively remaining in your comfort zone to play your own match maker and pretend you aren't as desperate as all the single profiles you sift through. To top it off, she said "you should try it, because, let's face it, it's not like you're going to meet anyone...". This might have some element of truth in it as I am a hard working temporarily obsessive student who doesn't always jump at the thought of going out, especially if the purpose is "to meet someone". (Sorry, but I still believe in fate)
Long story short, I disagree with Internet dating. People have been "finding soul mates" for thousands of years without the help of the Internet. They have been forced to get out, meet new people (in real life), work on their presentation skills and create interesting small talk.
I am not crying my nights away because my Facebook relationship status is single. And I am certainly not going to date some poor soul so I can casually refer to "my boyfriend" in boring conversations with people I'm trying to impress. I am happy on my own. I will never need a man to complete me. What will happen, will happen. xx
This weekend I had an uncomfortable moment with a dear aunt of mine.
As I am currently approaching my second year of studies and am a 20 year old female, to some members of my family, it is pretty sad that I am single. They can't seem to understand why being single doesn't bother me. I can see the pity in her eyes. So, amongst all this invisible confusion, my aunt suggested I try Internet dating.
I'm a liberal kind of person. I like to try new foods, watch art films with subtitles and go against most of what is mainstream. But this seemed one step too far. When she read what was written on my face after she suggested Internet dating, she quickly said, one of her friends (who must be 40 something) had found her SOUL MATE through Internet dating. I am sure there are people who enjoy Internet dating; the concept of passively remaining in your comfort zone to play your own match maker and pretend you aren't as desperate as all the single profiles you sift through. To top it off, she said "you should try it, because, let's face it, it's not like you're going to meet anyone...". This might have some element of truth in it as I am a hard working temporarily obsessive student who doesn't always jump at the thought of going out, especially if the purpose is "to meet someone". (Sorry, but I still believe in fate)
Long story short, I disagree with Internet dating. People have been "finding soul mates" for thousands of years without the help of the Internet. They have been forced to get out, meet new people (in real life), work on their presentation skills and create interesting small talk.
I am not crying my nights away because my Facebook relationship status is single. And I am certainly not going to date some poor soul so I can casually refer to "my boyfriend" in boring conversations with people I'm trying to impress. I am happy on my own. I will never need a man to complete me. What will happen, will happen. xx
Comments
Post a Comment